Impending divorce is not always obvious before it happens. Some couples split up after one unexpected event or because of outside factors, such as a drug addiction problem. However, there are some signs that experts use to predict divorce. They may mean that a marital breakdown is statistically more likely.
Again, these just mean that it could be more likely — not that it is a guarantee. Even so, it is important to know what to look out for. Some signs include the following:
- Doubts right before the wedding: People often assume jitters are normal on a big day, but they can actually predict that the marriage won’t last.
- An early marriage: Couples who get married young, especially in their teens, have a harder time keeping the relationship going.
- A late marriage: At the same time, getting married after age 32 could also mean divorce is more likely.
- Divorced parents: Those whose parents split up are around 40 percent more likely to end their own marriages than those whose parents stayed married.
- Serious debt: Money problems end a lot of marriages, especially when one person does most of the spending.
- Smoking: If both people smoke, it may not matter, but if only one person does, that couple faces higher odds of divorce.
- Living together first: The chances of divorce go up slightly if the couple lived together before they decided to tie the knot — though this is a very common practice in modern society.
Have you been thinking that your marriage is moving toward divorce? If so, make sure you understand exactly what legal steps you need to take.