Call Today: 914-761-9400

Aggressive Attorneys And Litigators Protecting Your Rights

The other parent of my child is not exercising custody rights

Imagine a judge awards you with full physical custody of your children and awards your ex-spouse with visitation rights; however, your ex hasn't once shown up to exercise his or her custody rights. Should you file a lawsuit to revoke or limit your ex's visitation rights? Or, should you be patient and hope that your ex later develops an interest in your children -- which would probably be the healthiest situation for your children in the long run?

Many family law attorneys actually discourage parents from attempting to revoke or limit the other parent's visitation rights. This is because, no matter how bad or irresponsible your ex happens to be, your children may not understand or forgive you for taking such an action. A more recommendable course of action is to take whatever action is necessary to help support and foster a better relationship between yourself and your ex. Doing so will help safeguard your children from feeling unwanted or unloved, and prevent them from suffering from the hurt and pain that goes along with such feelings.

The truth of the matter is that when parents can swallow their pride and maintain a friendly relationship with one another, the noncustodial parent will be more inclined to visit and spend time with his or her children. As such, one of the best things that any noncustodial parent can do is to make child visits as easy and friendly as possible.

If you are concerned about a parent who isn't taking action to exercise his or her visitation rights with your kids, you may want to seek legal counsel to address the issue in a diplomatic and thoughtful manner.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Contact Us

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

White Plains Office
200 East Post Road
White Plains, New York 10601

Phone: 914-761-9400
Fax: 914-761-0747
White Plains Law Office Map

Roseland Office
145 Eagle Rock Avenue
Roseland, New Jersey 07068

Map & Directions